Profile of Jason Lim Chen Thor
Jason is the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice at De Souza Lim & Goh LLP. He obtained his LLM degree from University College, London in 1981. He was called to the Bar of England & Wales in 1982 and was admitted to the Singapore Bar in October 1983.
Jason was admitted as a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators in 1999. He has been appointed by the SIAC and the ICC International Court of Arbitration in both international and domestic arbitrations as sole arbitrator and as co-arbitrator since 2003.
Experience (Arbitration) :
Arbitral experience include appointments as arbitrator or acting as counsel in disputes involving insurance law, building construction, marine engineering, pipe-laying projects (oil and gas), partnership and shareholders’ disputes, cross-border transactional disputes and disputes relating to intellectual property rights and real estate developments.
Recent arbitral awards issued include cases involving shareholders’ and investments disputes in the People’s Republic of China, disputes involving international franchises in the United Arab Emirates, disputes involving coal mining and bitumen productions in Indonesia and specialist works at a major hospital in Singapore, building construction and medical insurance disputes.
Arbitral work undertaken include SIAC, ICC, AAA and ad-hoc arbitrations held in Singapore, Indonesia and New York.
Professional Associations :
- Advocate and Solicitor.
- Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
- Appointed member of the Singapore Law Society Inquiry Panel.
- Appointed member of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre – Reserve Panel
of Arbitrators (1 May 2003 to 30 April 2006).
- Appointed member of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators Panel of Arbitrators for Sports Arbitrations.
- Appointed member of the Singapore Law Society Panel of Arbitrators.
- Chairman – Civil Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2011 – 2013).
- Appointed member of the Marine Offshore Oil and Gas Association Panel of National Mediator and Arbitrator.
- Accredited Associated Member, Singapore Mediation Centre.
- State Courts of Singapore – Appointed Mediator (2016 – 2019).
- Appointed member of the Panel of Counsel for the Law Society of Singapore.
Professional Experience :
Some of the reported cases in which he has appeared as lead counsel in the Singapore High Court and the Court of Appeal are :
- Chia Kum Fatt Rolfston v Lim Lay Choo  2 SLR(R) 793
- China Resources Purchasing Co Ltd v Yue Xiu Enterprises (S) Pte Ltd (Bulsing (Private) Limited, Thirty Party)  SGHC 112
- China Resources Purchasing Co Ltd v Yue Xiu Enterprises (S) Pte Ltd and Another  1 SLR(R) 397
- Myaing Hin @ Bein Hin and Another v Lim Beng Hwee @ San San Win and Others  SGHC 167
- Citicorp Investment Bank (Singapore) Ltd v Wee Ah Kee  2 SLR(R) 1
- Wee Ah Kee v Citicorp Investment Bank (Singapore) Ltd  3 SLR(R) 623
- Lek Bong Hua v Lek Boon Chye  3 SLR(R) 916
- Ngo Nyo Min v Aung Khin & anor  SGHC 39
- Star City Pty Limited v Tan Hong Woon  SGHC 36
- CSR South East Asia Pte Ltd v Sunrise Insulation Pte Ltd  1 SLR(R) 1079
- Star City Pty Ltd (fka Sydney Harbour Casino Pty Ltd) v Tan Hong Woon  1SLR(R) 306
- Marina Tanker Sdn Bhd v Chan Fook Choon & Anor  SGHC 67
- Har Mee Lee & Ors v Sin Fook Seng & Ors  SGSTB-4
- Tsai Jean v Har Mee Lee & Ors  2 SLR(R) 1, SGHC 210
- Roger May Peters v Lilian Gek Lian Pinder  3 SLR(R) 765
- Premium Automobiles Pte Ltd v Song Gin Puay Ronnie  SGHC 254
- Serge Pun v Joy Head Investments Limited  4 SLR 478
- Vicplas Holdings Pte Ltd v Allfit International Marketing Pte Ltd & Ors  2 SLR 739
- Public Prosecutor v Tee Fook Boon Andrew  SGHC 192
- Liu Suk Fong Susana v Shanghai Commercial Bank Trustee Ltd and another  SGHC 152
- Betty Lena Rewi & Pitone Leauga v Brian Ihaea Toki & Anor : HC/S 914/2015
- Deorukhkar Sameer Vinay and others v Quek Chin Kheam  SGHC 171
- Teo Mei Ling Karen & Others v Low Kwang Tong & another  SGHC 186
- Low Kwang Tong v Karen Teo Mei Ling & Others  SGCA 86
Some of the reasoned Arbitral Awards published by him as Arbitrator are :
|24 June 2003||SIAC – ARB 029/03|
|19 September 2005||SIAC – ARB 043/05|
|13 July 2006||SIAC – ARB 035/06|
|23 November 2007||ICC – No. 15158/JEM|
|10 November 2010||ICC – 17232/CYK|
|07 June 2012||SIAC – ARB 087/12/SL|
|08 November 2013||SIAC – ARB 191/13/ZH|
|29 September 2014||SIAC – ARB 102/14/ZH|
|05 May 2015||SIAC – ARB 036/15/KJ|
|02 July 2015||ICC – No. 21001/CYK|
|31 August 2017||SIAC – ARB 238/2017|
|12 October 2017||LSAS 02/2017|
Community Services :
Jason is presently the Vice-President of the registered IPC Charity – Teen Challenge Singapore.